FAIL (the browser should render some flash content, not this).

About Us

In 1954, K.W. Kohrs, purchased the farm “Leeuwspoor”. Primarily a cattle farmer, he was also a great naturalist, preserving and managing carefully the little remaining game species on “Leeuwspoor”.
 
As early as 1963, when conservation of wildlife on private farmland made no economic sense, as there was no demand for hunting or tourism, Mr. Kohrs was awarded the Natal Parks Board Conservationist of the Year trophy. It was during this period, when the today world renowned Ian Player was chief warden of Hluhluwe / Umfolozi Game Reserve, that “Kallie” Kohrs request of 10 warthog for re-introduction on to “Leeuwspoor” was granted and the ‘Return of the Wilderness’ commenced. (Up until the 1980’s the sighting of a warthog by the Kohrs family or their visitors was a cause for great excitement on Leeuwspoor.)

During the 1960’s the SA Government initiated plans for the construction of the Jozini / Pongolapoort Dam. ± 15 000 hectares of riverine Guarri bush and savannah woodlands habitat was bulldozed to clear this area of trees and make way for the dam’s waters.

Today Mr and Mrs Kohrs with veterinarian son, Heinz and family (5th generation German speaking South African’s), still live in the original homestead on ‘Leeuwspoor’, also built after the first World War during the colonisation years of Zululand.

Mr Kohrs has an interesting room filled with trophies collected over his many hunting years throughout Southern Africa and can be viewed by request.

In 1999 Dr. Heinz Kohrs realised a life's dream with the foundation of the White Elephant Lodges. This engangement is appreciated by the WWF and in partnership, for the protection of the elephants as well as the white and black rhinoceroses, supported.
 
White Elephant Lodge 2014 | Login | Disclaimer | Subscribe | German | English iBrochure White Elephant Bush Camp, Guest House and Game Lodge in Zululand, South Africa